Monday, November 30, 2009

A Mold Inspection Might Actually Save A Real Estate Deal

Recently a client was referred by her real estate agent and called me to do a mold inspection on a property that she was considering making an offer on. She reported that while she and her investment partner were touring the property they noticed an "overwhelming moldy odor" throughout the house. They wanted an inspection & testing done prior to making an offer so they could take the findings into consideration for the offer or--if it turned out really bad--decide not even to make an offer in the first place.

There were several "red flag conditions" I found that prompted me to recommend air samples. As suspected - the lab results came back confirming an indoor spore count over 10 times higher than the control sample taken outdoors at the same time. I wrote up and sent my inspection report and the lab results to my client along with my recommendations of the proper types of contractors to consult for further investigation. After sending the report I offered my standard post-report consultation with the client.

Now, there are several reasons I always offer and hope to do a post-report consultation with my clients. Among them is the fact that there are a lot of myths out there concerning mold, and elevated spore counts represented in raw data may appear terrifying without a client being able to ask questions and get answers about the data. In this particular case: The client was "scared off" from making an offer on the property without a second thought or further investigation... initially.

However, during our post-report consultation on the phone I was able to answer several of her questions. I went over the fact that the conditions I had found during the inspection were typical in a home of that age and location and that she needed to contact the proper contractors to provide estimates for repairing the issues and that all of them were repairable. The only consideration that she and her investment partners had to take into consideration was what they were willing and able to do in the way of remodeling the home. The final decision, of course, was up to them to decide what to offer and if their budget and time would allow for the repairs estimated by the contractors.

It happened that, based on the initial mold inspection report along with the recommendations of the proper contractors, they decided to make an offer on the property after all. My client told me that this was all due to the "education" she received from AMI Northwest and the other contractors she talked to after my report. She added that, "nobody has ever taken the time to talk to me like you did in all my other property deals. It's great to understand things about mold that you don't hear in all the hype about it!"

So, why am I telling you about all this? Because I routinely run into sellers and real estate agents that believe any mold inspection will "kill the deal." That's not true. As we like to say: "Mold inspections don't kill deals; mold inspectors do!" So the trick is to find the right mold inspector. How can you tell whether you've found the right mold inspector? Well, there are no guarantees, but look for these qualifications to help:

1. -Independent: To remove the potential bias of findings, make sure your mold inspection service isn't also in the business of mold remediation or "in bed" with any mold remediation companies.

2. Certified: Make sure your mold inspector is certified by associations recognized by the IAQ industry and are trained to follow industry standards for inspection and sampling.

Obviously, this is not an exhausted list of qualifications since it would overreach the purpose of a blog. Here is a more complete list of "Mold Scams" and how to avoid them.

No comments:

Post a Comment